Thursday, May 10, 2012

Get, ready, set, Write!

When I first started writing, I was asked to join someone in a twitter word sprint. We had a half hour, I think, to write as much as we could, as fast as we could. I didn't do too well. I think I got under 200 words. But Mike Rowe and Dirty Jobs was distracting me! Honest.

Since then I have seen a bunch of twitter word sprints. There is #wordmongering and #1K1H to name a few. It doesn't stop at twitter either. There is NaNoWriMo and 750 words. Around these spring up communities of writers. They rely on each other and give each other support. It's a very good thing for the writer who is stuck at her computer alone every day.

I'm not talking about myself, of course.

Despite needing the encouragement sometimes and that, yes, goals do get me to write more and achieve things, I don't participate in word sprints. The other day I looked into 750 words. It sounded interested and fun. Each day write at least 750 and it doesn't always have to be for a WIP. It's to form the habit of writing daily. In the end, I decided not to do it. Maybe it's just me, but the pressure of that just gets to me, and suddenly, I don't want to write.

I'm just not a pressure writer. I don't thrive under pressure Which is why I will never do NaNo. Maybe it's also a control thing. I don't feel in control with those activities, and that's unappealing to me. It's why I like my #AYWN group. I can set the goals I want, and while I do try to achieve them, (not this month it seems. I am distracted by shiny new ideas) if I don't reach my goals it's no biggie. I'll roll them over to next month and try again.

Maybe it's time I sucked it up and gave one of those community a shot. I could use the support and encouragement and I enjoy encouraging others. That means overcoming my shyness and the bad habit of thinking I'm butting in and will just be ignored or annoying. (Confidence issues, anyone?) I don't want to miss out on an opportunity to improve and meet new writers and that's all I'm doing.

5 comments:

  1. You can try Row80, A Round Of Words in 80 days. It is a writing group that "knows you have a life". It allows you to participate when you want and not to when you don't want or when life intervenes.You can find the website at http://aroundofwordsin80days.wordpress.com/ and you can find them on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/183140135095210/ and you can find them on Twitter at #Row80

    It is a group that I participate in but I don't all of the time. I have met some wonderful online writer friends that are very supportive and encouraging, especially if I am having a difficult day/week/month.

    I enjoyed reading your post and I hope you find the writing group that helps inspire you to new heights.

    Peace,
    Morgan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Row80, that was the other one I couldn't think of while writing this post. Looked into that one too once.

      Delete
  2. I have signed up for #writemotivation by K T Hanna-- it seems to be helping me so far :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do you sign up for #writemotivation? I use that hashtag on occasion but I didn't know that there was something to sign up for.

      Thanks,
      Morgan

      Delete
  3. I like pacing myself, so I don't really take part in things like NaNo either.

    ReplyDelete