Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Sunshine Award


Emma Mills, author of Witchblood, nominated me for a Sunshine Award. Not sure I deserve a sunshine award. More often than not, I am not a ball of sunshine. I am a get out of my face and leave me alone type person. Who am I to argue with Emma? ;)

Here are the rules of the award:

1. Include the award logo in the post.
2. Link back and thank those that nominated me.
3. Answer 10 random questions.
4. Nominate other bloggers and link them to the award in their comments.

So here are my 10 questions I have taken from previous interviews & my answers:

1. Tell us something about yourself?
I have pictures of me with my hair all different colors except blue. I’m thinking I need to do blue next and take a bunch.

2. Tell us something about your published novel(s)?
My vampires don’t sparkle in sunlight. ;) In fact, they go ka-poof!

3. What is your next project?
Right now I have a YA called Snapshots that is out to beta readers and I’ve contacted Keary Taylor about a cover. It’s about a boy who can see the future in people’s eyes so he keeps one eye hidden and earning him the nickname Cyclop. His past is about to catch up to him as well.

4. What made you decide to become an Independent author?
I think I’m a control freak. LOL! I was going to go traditional at first, but with the changes in the industry and after doing some research, Indie just felt like the better option. I could make the final decision on everything, pick my own cover and get the book out faster.

5. What is your favorite paranormal creature and why?
Vampires, but I honestly can’t say why they are so fun for me to write about. They are usually the creatures that come to me the most in stories. Which is kind of annoying. Can I please write about another mythical creature? At least until Being Vampire is done and published!

6. What was the most difficult part about writing the book?
Staying focused and finishing a story. New ideas are like shiny red balls and I have to chase after them before the idea goes away. Lately, I've been getting better. I had two new story ideas and I finished one before starting the other. I was proud and thought I deserved a cookie.

7. What interesting quirks do you have?
When I’m writing, I get obsessive about chapter lengths. They have to be almost the exact same length or it drives me nuts. I have a four part series and in the first three parts, point of view switched every two chapters and at the end, every other chapter. The last part, I had to switch to the first part’s main character’s point of view for a few paragraphs and it drives me nuts thinking about it. I won’t change it, but it rubs at me.

8. What authors most inspire you?
Heather Brewer, author of The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod is the author that cemented my decision to publish. I was reading the last book in the series and it just hit me that if she could do it, so could I (or at least try.) She is my number one inspiration for getting Being Human published. Other authors that really motivate me, but not necessarily inspire me are Thea Atkinson and Lindsay Buroker. I read Anomaly by Thea and was blown away, and Lindsay, I haven't read her books yet even though I have a few downloaded, her blog is just full of useful info for indie authors.

9. Where do the ideas for your stories come from?
Some stories come out of nowhere, others a movie or TV show. A lot actually come from other books. There’s some element in the story that makes me wonder, “What if this happened instead?” It grows from there. Being Human grew from me reading Thirsty by MT Anderson. The end had me wondering, “What happens next?”

10. Have you ever had any paranormal experiences of your own?
Closest is one morning at my parents’ house, I woke up and saw a strange face looking at me. I threw the covers over my head and closed my eyes. When I finally looked, no one was there. This is also why I should not watch ghost hunting shows but do anyways because I love seeing what they find.

I pass this award on to:
Lor Rose
L.M. Murphy
M.R. Merrick
Karen A. Hooper
A.D. Duling
Cherie Noel
and last but not least
Vicktor Alexander (because he's a ball of sweet and cute sunshine! MUAHAHA! He is going to kill me now.)
**PS, if you don't have your own interview questions to choose from, feel free to use the ones I picked and tweak them.**

6 comments:

  1. That's really commendable! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get a lot of ideas from other books too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved reading your answers! Thanks so much for the award. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your award.

    I completely understand the bit about chasing those shiny red balls, though I do try not to do it and instead write the idea down and leave it alone until I've finished what I'm currently doing.

    Sometimes inside our heads is just such a messy place isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrific answers!

    Your one about hair colour made me think of a woman I saw with a reddish-purple dye to her hair that I saw some months back. At first I started character identifying her as a computer hacker for a book, but then I quickly placed her as an villain and anarchist cell leader that's been brewing in my mind for a long while.

    ReplyDelete