Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Vegucated

This post is going to be unrelated to writing. Just warning you. In all fairness though, it's not my fault. I had some good topic ideas, forgot them and have yet to remember.

Veganism, my hubby and I are considering it. Or at least ways to cut our meat consumption. Why? Well, we aren't turning into tree hugging hippies, but we don't want to support the meat industry. I am going to make you cringe and say we watched a documentary called Vegucated. Yes, people always say they are going to change after watching a documentary and then never do. Change is hard. It wasn't really the whole documentary that had us considering it. It was the few minutes where someone was talking about slaughter house practices. I couldn't look at the images. It turned my stomach. How can someone work in a place like that and sleep at night? It boggles my mind.

In all honesty, I don't want to give up meat. Not 100%. I like chicken and burgers. I looooove cheese and milk. So chances are hubby and I aren't going to go strictly vegan or vegetarian. But we do want to make choices that don't involve animal abuse or torture. (Watch the documentary and you'll understand why I say that. And yes, I understand the more harsh and shocking practices are shown, but they happen and that's what bothers me. If you have no problem that's you. This is me.)

The problem we face is finding alternatives. We live in a small city and there is no health food store jammed packed with tofu alternatives. The vegetarian food selection at grocery stories is small and high priced. Finding meat that hasn't been mass slaughter is near impossible.

It will be in the little things. A box of veggie burgers. Skipping out on adding chicken to a pasta. There will be times where we decide we don't care and have a burger. We're not looking to change the world. Just a part of our lives that will reduce something we don't agree with. Maybe one day we'll move to a place that has a health food store that we can shop at. Or maybe we'll decide not to worry about it. I honestly can't say. We're fickle like that sometimes.

19 comments:

  1. More power to you, my friend. Like you I don't believe I ever want to give up meat and dairy. I'm like this: things aren't always the best no matter where we go or do.

    Also, ANY documentary is biased. I cannot think of a single one that hasn't been, but that's not a knock on them but rather a simple fact of documentaries.

    There probably needs to be better regulation (even though I hate that word) on these slaughterhouses.

    Enjoy what you eat; it's one of our few constant pleasures.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Documentaries biased? *shocked look* Nooo! ;) Kidding, of course. But even then, a person can learn about the subject which is always good.

      Delete
  2. I can understand cutting down your meat consumption. I think it's a fantastic idea. I'll never be a vegetarian but I would like to have a few nights a week nominated as 'meat free'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Patricia! I found you through Alex Cavanaugh's IWSG:) I've actually gone without meat twice for 6 months. Once after I read that book Skinny Bitch and another after I read Kevin Trudeau's What They Don't Want You to Know. In the end, it is very pricey and like you, we don't have a major health food store nearby. It's also hard when your family doesn't support it (my two kids and hubby love meat). Have you seen Forks Over Knives? That's another documentary that's received lots of attention lately. Good luck and hope to see you around the blogosphere:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forks over Knives is on Amazon Prime so I think we'll watch that next.
      I figure hubby and mine's cheat days will be when we visit our parents. They'd just roll their eyes at us. ^^;;

      Delete
  4. OMG my dad is doing the same thing! He hasn't gone completely vegan or vegetarian. Although, the reason he decided to go on that 'diet' is just because he didn't feel like eating meat. How can someone not feel like eating meat!!?? Good luck, and it's so nice to meet you! Found your link on Alex's IWSG page, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for being found! Now if I could just remember to write my IWSG posts. _-_

      Delete
  5. I'm eating less meat than I used to but that's purely because meat is expensive. I started making vegetable soups - not vegetarian as I use meat stock! I do a big panful and then freeze a load. And sometimes add a bit meat when eating them.

    One is leek & potato soup (uses chicken stock & is extra nice with a bit of cooked chicken in there) - sort of equal quantities of leeks & potatoes, fry in a little oil for a few mins. Add stock, bring to the boil then simmer until the potatoes are soft and it's all sort of mushing together (this is not a pretty soup!).

    Other one is just a big pile of veg & spices cooked for hours then blended until I can't recognise any of the veg - I don't actually like many vegetables! Usually has onions, peppers, celery, green beans, leeks & courgettes plus worcester sauce, soy sauce, smoked paprika, black pepper, a little sugar, maybe balsamic vinegar, beef stock. And starts with garlic, ginger & lemongrass fried in a little oil...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meat is expensive here too. You'll have to email me the leek and potato soup recipe so I can try it.

      Delete
  6. All I'll say is make sure you are finding protein substitutes like beans and whatnot. it's fine to take things out of your diet as long as you are getting the nutritional aspects from something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I am older than you! hahah if you like beans and spicy foods (although you can control the spice) I can give you a recipe for this great thing called taco soup. Super filling and cheap to make!

      Delete
    2. i tend to not use back beans but red kidney beans instead but whichever your preference is fine :) adjust the spice with you choices of salsa and taco sauce and whether you add hot sauce or not ;) and you can swap out corn for other things like kale. It makes a HUGE amount

      Taco Soup

      1 can black beans
      1 can white beans
      1 can pink beans
      1 28oz can of crushed tomatos
      1 cup water
      1 can tomato soup
      1/4 cup chili powder
      1/4 cup salsa
      1/4 cup taco sauce
      generous shakes over black pepper, onion flakes and garlic powder
      1 can kernel corn
      2 tbsp hot sauce (optional)
      mix all in a big pot and simmer for about 20/30 min. top with cheddar or mozz. cheese.
      a great crusty bread is nice to dip in it too.

      Delete
    3. Thanks. Will have to get some containers to freeze some if it makes a lot. lol

      Delete
    4. heh yeah you can eat it for a week otherwise! but great in the cold weather and trust me, suuuuper filling.

      Delete
    5. I can eat the same thing all week, but hubby gets whiny about it. -.- It does sound perfect for winter. =)

      Delete