Friday, June 8, 2012

Write On Edge: To the moon


This week's Write On Edge post was pretty laid back and easy. In 500 words, write a piece of fiction or non-fiction which includes the phrase: to the moon. Since I'm hoping to get Snapshots published by mid to late July, I thought I'd write something for it.
****
To the moon! Jacob pointed to the glowing light bulb above our heads. A wide grin filled his face and hope shined in his eyes.

The hope caused my throat to tighten. Keandra was right. Jacob didn’t fully understand just how bad this place was. And I envied him for it. Envied that he could detach himself from the reality of our confinement and get lost in his imagination. The light above was from the moon and in his head and we were flying towards it.

Pushing those feelings back, I pick Jacob up. “Prepare for take off in ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four,” Jacob held his arms at his sides. His body trembled with excitement, “three, two, one. Blast off!”

Jacob squealed as I spun him around. I took him around the room and then lifted him up.

“Don’t touch the light bulb – I mean the moon – it’s hot,” I warned.

Jacob giggled and heat radiated off his skin. You’re so silly, Big Brother. Prepare for the landing.

I landed him on the couch. “That’s one small step for man,” I said as he climbed off the short couch like he was descending a ladder. When his foot hit the floor, I stopped him. “There’s no gravity on the moon. Do you know how to walk?”

He shook his head.

“Watch me.” I bent my knees and took long, slow steps. Delight shone in Jacob’s eyes as he mimicked me. “You also have to be careful. Jump too high and you’ll float away.”

I chuckled as Jacob grinned mischievously. He coiled his legs and jumped. I grabbed him and lifted him up. “Oh no! You’re floating away. Someone help before you float to Uranus. Keandra, help!”

Keandra’s eyes widened, panic flitting across her face as I swung Jacob towards her. I passed him gently to her and she set him safely on the floor. He slowly bounced away, declaring he was off to find alien life.

Keandra glared at me once he was out of sight. “I thought you were going to throw him at me.”

“Have a little faith in me,” I said sourly. I pulled apart the blanket fort Jacob and I made for the cowboy adventure before he turned into an astronaut. “In the gang, family was important. If someone was falling, you caught them.”

“What’s that got to do with this place?”

I looked at Keandra. “The only thing we have in common is Master. We’re alive because of him.”

“So, does that make him our father?”

“No, that makes us family and I’ll always catch family.”

13 comments:

  1. Snappy! \o/ Love it! <3

    I do, I do, I do!

    It's mine. I say so. :P

    TeeHee!

    XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the details of this and how you capture both boys' emotions and viewpoints so vividly, it works though that Keandra is taking a back seat for a moment. Their collective back story intrigues me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Intrigue, that's what I was going for. ;)

      Delete
  3. I'm new to this story, but my curiosity is piqued for sure. You show the little boy's imagination and enthusiasm so well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the sense of family. One little typo: I picked Jacob up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The comment under Wisper should have gone here. oops. lol

      Wisper, your real comment: \o/ Awesome.

      Delete
  5. Interesting. I am curious as to where this goes. You show their bond so well. Then to throw this mysterious Master into the mix - I smell trouble there. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh now my interest is piqued. I need to know more. Good detail of the bond between brothers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love the little boy/space man scene. Positively brilliant!

    ReplyDelete